Friday, September 13, 2013

New Work-Four and Twenty Blackbirds

Four and Twenty Blackbirds is my most recent painting. I have been steadily drawn to wetland habitats in my recent work. This fragile habitat is so easy to overlook and dismiss as a muddy bog when one glides by in their car. So much of our wetlands have been dried out and managed for human uses. Yet these habitats support a wealth of organisms and provide essential support for migrating birds that pass through on their ancient cycles.
In Four and Twenty Blackbirds I explored wetland reeds once again. I tried to convey my wonder at the power and beauty of nature. I put myself out on a limb in terms of technique as I did not begin with the bird images in the underpainting as I usually do. I also worked with the new palette of color I began with my previous painting, Pilgrims' Progress. I hoped to give a stronger voice to nature in this painting. The yellow headed  blackbirds give me a thrill when I look at them in their black masks. They are in charge of their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment