Saturday, January 19, 2013

More about time...

It seems to me that memory has to be a factor in understanding time. A smell or a sound can trigger a memory and I am suddenly transported to an earlier time and place. At that moment the past and the present are one, simultaneous.

Then there are the other kinds of memories, not from this life.  Occasionally I have a memory or a dream of something I cannot have known from my life.  I sense my ancestors around me at times. Some call these memories of past lifetimes, but I'm not sure.  Maybe it is something else, a sort of genetic memory. Or perhaps a flaw in thinking of time as linear.

And let's consider stories, lore and mythologies.  From the time the first humans had language, stories have penetrated time and brought the past into the present.

This question of time....It's about perception really. Is what I see what is really there, or is it just an idea? As with the concept of non-linear time, I am compelled to overlap realities in my painting imagery. My fascination is to see what will happen when different stories and points of view are superimposed and forced to occupy the same space.  It's interesting to me to overlap beings with very different senses of time, such as migrating birds or fish with contemporary humans. The overlapping causes the planes to fracture and the space to reorganize into something else, a new kind of unity, altered and provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment